Osmond Elementary has a tradition of excellence in academics. Results of PAWS (Performance Assessment for Wyoming Students) indicate that Osmond’s test scores are among the best in the state. This kind of performance is the result of wonderful parents, excellent teaching at Osmond Elementary as well as the quality teaching at Afton Elementary, Osmond Elementary’s K-3 feeder school.
“Osmond’s test scores are among the best in the state.”
- Harcourt is based on scientific research that focuses on effective learning processes and instructional strategies. It includes intervention strategies that diagnose students’ difficulties with mathematics concepts, skills, and problem solving, and provides intervention resources to ensure success for all learners.
- IXL is a web-based computer program that provides additional support and practice aligned with the state standards. Students are able to work at their own pace and level. This program is used in addition to Harcourt, which is the core math program.
- AM (Accelerated Math) offers students more complex math tasks, working at the student’s current level of understanding, and progresses the students through math objectives at a pace that is “just right” for the student.
- Math Facts are taught within the classroom so that students can have automaticity and confidence with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Students work on these as part of the daily classroom routine.
- Novel Study is part of the reading curriculum and is done in small groups. Specific novels are used at each grade level, and comprehension and writing about the novel work to ensure a high level of understanding and participation.
- Lexia Reading is used as a reading intervention and follows the proven approach recommended by the National Reading Panel, Reading First, and leading experts. Students learn skills in sequence, logically building an understanding, while gaining competency and preparing for the next skill.
- Stephanie Harvey The Comprehension Toolkit focuses on reading, writing, talking, listening, and investigating, to deepen student understanding of nonfiction texts.
- AR (Accelerated Reader) is a program used throughout the school, where goals are set with teacher and student together. Students read books at the appropriate level for them, and test their comprehension upon completion of each book.
- Lucy Calkins utilizes a strong, efficient writing workshop approach. It is organized within a carefully crafted spiraling curriculum. This program focuses on several types of writing, to include; Narrative, Fiction, Essay, Literary Essay and Memoir. Students move through one unit at a time, and are taught a variety of strategies to be successful writers.
- Osmond Elementary takes advantage of the recreation opportunities available in Star Valley. Students have the opportunity to experience cross county skiing and/or snow shoeing as part of their experience at Osmond. In addition, all students have the opportunity to experience down hill skiing or snow boarding at the Pine Creek Ski Resort.
- Enrichment opportunities are also available at Osmond. Each year, after school classes are offered through the Dry Creek Academy. A sample of these classes include, Fly Tying, Pottery, Hyper Studio, Improv, iPad, Basketball, Archery, Ballroom Dancing, Newspaper Club, & W.B.C. (Wickiup Broadcasting Club).